Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fastelavnsboller= Rolls for Lent

These are a danish tradition to make every Fastelavn. I am a bit early for these this year, because this year Fastelavn is on March 6th. Oh well...I just love this and have been craving them. They are sweet rolls with a baked vanilla cream filling inside.  A simple Chocolate frosting is usually drizzled on top, but I made a chocolate ganache instead for these, because I LOVE chocolate:-)

For the dough I used my bread machine that my hubby bought me. A Zujirushi...holy cow it makes the BEST bread EVER! This bread recipe is super close to my Farmors and it is especially for dough machines so just used this and lo and behold it tasts the same as hers:-) Her recipe I believe has more butter in it.

The Cream filling though is Farmors original recipe, because she makes the Best!

Here it is;

Dough;
1- 1/8 cups Milk
1 Large Egg
4-1/4 cups Bread Flour
4 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Butter
2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

Place all in dough machine according to manufacturers instructions, and set it to "Dough".  Once it is done, roll out on a lightly floured surface and using a large round cookie cutter cut 12 circles. Roll each one out and place cold cream filling in each (abt. 1 tbs.) than close and pinch up edges. Flip upside down and place on greased baking pan. Let rise covered at room temp for about 30 min or until doubled in size. Bake for 15-20 min until golden brown in 400F oven. Frost the rolls while warm with Ganache

Farmors Cream Filling:


1/2 cup sugar
 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2cup milk, scalded
 1 egg, beaten
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of butter
 3/4 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
 
 Here is how you do it.

 Mix, sugar, flour and salt in a double boiler.Gradually stir in 3/4 cup of the hot milk, stir until smooth , ad the remaining milk and cook over direct heat intil thickened, stir constantly.
 Stir a little of the hot mixture into the beaten egg: return this to rest of the mixture and place over boiling water, stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in butter and flavoring. COOL completely. (The fridge is best for this).



Ganache:



  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 8 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
  •  Cook the heavy cream and chocolate chips, in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally. 

2 comments:

  1. Cat those look yummy! Hey i have that same platter. isn't she loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, she is lovely:-) I have been collecting them for a few years now, and this one my Mama gave me for Christmas:-) I love white dishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...