Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Jute {Easter} Eggs Tutorial

 So here is the recipe so you can make  your own. Feel free to make as many as you want! I only ask (since this is my original idea) that if you want to make your own and post it on the web that you link it back to my blog. AND SEND ME YOUR PICTURES! I want to see what you all can come up with ;-) 
Thanks and have fun creating!
Oh and dont forget to become a Follower:-)
Leave me a comment if you have any questions:-)

You will need:
  • Regular size ballons or water ballons {blown up to desired size of egg}
  • Jute
  • Glue {one that dries clear}
  • water
  • scissors

  1. First blow up your balloons. YOu can either use regular birthday balloons, or water balloons. Just depends on what size you want. I find that water balloons make it more "egg" shaped. Birthday balloons can get to be too "round" if you blow it up too big.
  2. Make a mixture of 1/2 part Water to 1/2 part Glue in a bowl. Mix.
  3. Cut a loooooong piece of Jute {dont worry if you run out during wrapping the ballon, you can just start with a new piece since everything is "glued" together.} 
  4. Drench your Jute trying not to tangle it up too much....dont get scared because it is VERY messy!
  5. Tie your drenched jute end to the top of the ballon and start wrapping it. Begin from the top to the bottom over and over than go cross ways. Kind of play with it, it really is hard to mess it up. Just make sure that it is tight. 
  6. When all done place it on a surface like an old paper bag. Let dry overnight. For the smaller egg {water ballon} it is possible to dry it with a blow dryer, mostly but you must still leave it overnight. The string needs to be completely dry and "crispy" before the next step.
  7. When it is dry wrap your scissors and....POP it! Its like magic when it does, because suddenly you will have a beautiful egg! :-)
Decorate it anyway you want, for the bird nest one the jute was still a bit pliable so I could work my hand into it. I placed toile, ripped fabric for ribbon and a bird silhouette inside.
 For a bird just google bird silhouette images and you can pick what you like. Print it out, cut out with scissors and  trace it onto card stock. Cut THAT out and stick a piece of wire to it so you can stick it right down thru the nest of the egg. 

Simple
Spruced up with a bit of green, blue & white ribbon/fabric strips.



4 comments:

  1. Cat- HOLY CRAP EASTER BUNNY! These are darling I WILL make some of these today and I am very excited! I just put my eggs up on my blog too. Yours turned out so cute.
    Hey I want to feature your {Jute Eggs} and link back to your blog for the tutorial on my blog tomorrow, is that okay?
    Cute! Cute! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Here are few link parties I link up to durring the week. You need to put up your stuff on them on Wednesdays.

    restoreinteriors.blogspot.com
    primitiveandproper.blogspot.com
    abeachcottage.com
    elementsinteriors.blogspot.com

    I like these four the best. Go link up it gets your name/blog out there for people to see. :)
    There are others I do on Tuesdays and Fridays if your want those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, thanks!! I thought you might like these, they are so fun and EASY PEASY to make! I would have made more, but I ran out of glue! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog and this project with jute - might have to try some next Easter! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...